Saturday, August 20, 2022

Term Three: Week Five ~ Puzzles, Books, Flowers and More...

We have hit the midway point of the term, which is the usual point at where I start photographing more of our daily life and living, and less of our structured written work. Besides, there is only so much I can do to make sitting at the dining table working on written work look interesting. Therefore, please enjoy my week five post which illustrates many other aspects of our daily family life besides just what we classify as "school"!!

Monster LOVES his puzzles (as any long time follower of my blog would know) and so he couldn't help but help Munchkin when he decided to get out a puzzle that was recently given to him as a gift.

It was really wonderful to listen to the guidance and suggestions that Monster gave Munchkin to help him work through the process of putting the puzzle together...

The completed puzzle! Munchkin was quite pleased with himself and really happy that his older brother was willing to work on it with him.

The one lone "school" photograph - Munchkin working on his spelling unit on the floor during morning read aloud time.


I spent some time outdoors this week photographing these beautiful flowers that are growing underneath our mailbox. The afternoon sunlight is perfect and draws me outside with my camera.

This week we had some skin/wound drama with Munchkin. Again, my regular readers will know that for the past couple of years we have had some major dramas with Munchkin skin, with a huge eczema flare up and several wounds that have got seriously infected. So any time he gets even the smallest wound we have had to watch it very carefully. The routine now is that I keep a daily photographic diary so that if/when we need to present to our family doctor, he can see precisely the progression of the infection.

We started this week with this wound on his hand that we decided (with the help of our doctor) was a bite of some sort - though we have no idea what it was that bit him. After carefully inspecting these photos that I took, our doctor determined that it was NOT infected but Munchkin mounted a sizeable allergic reaction to whatever it was that did bite him. Thankfully it healed without the need of antibiotics, but it was extremely itchy and caused quite a bit of discomfort for him.

We ended the week with yet another wound - this time on the palm of the same hand with the insect bite. He fell off his bike and took a chunk out of the pad. So again, daily photos and careful watching to see if his immune system could handle fighting two things at once.

I got a bit of a cleaning bug this week and decided to tackle our "linen" closet that we use to store games/toys that we don't play with regularly and school supplies that we don't need access to all the time. Our laundry baskets (stackable) live in front of the door so we treat this cupboard as "locked" and the boys know they don't have access to it without permission. I was rather ruthless in my cleaning and got rid of anything we had not played with in the last year, and thus, as you can see in the right hand photo, there was spare room when I was done!! 

(Side note: Munchkin had asked to play with the Duplo Legos as I was cleaning out, so there are some things not pictured in the right hand photo that we did NOT get rid of. I sometimes wonder when/if I'll ever be allowed to sell the Duplos as every time I think they are done with them Munchkin asks to play with them again!)

Munchkin worked on craft at the library on Thursday solo as his best friends were sick with COVID this week. He still enjoyed himself though and chatted with two other little boys who are regular attendees of the program.


My wonderful husband surprised me and bought me this excellent book holder awhile ago after a dear friend bought it and raved about it. This week was the first time I really got to test it out and put it to proper use as I needed to type up a large scripture portion for the boys to work on for Sunday School. It worked brilliantly and I'm so glad hubby decided to spontaneously purchase it and surprise me with it.


I did a bit of batch cooking this week... a delicious chicken and vegetable soup in the top photo (only Monkey and I liked it though) and a curried beef and vegetable recipe in the bottom photograph. The boys were pleased with the curried beef recipe so it will become a regular "quick meal" option for them in the future as it is quick and easy to prepare.

The boys and I enjoyed an evening playing the card game "Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza" for the first time and we absolutely LOVED it!


My walking was a little all over the place this week... I only managed four days of walking and my distances were a bit erratic as well...

Our one lone "school" read aloud that we finished this week. Below the line of stars are all the books that Munchkin read independently through the week. If you are interested and want to browse the selection feel free to continue scrolling...
****************************************




















No comments:

Post a Comment