Sunday, August 14, 2022

Book Selection ~ Term Three: Week Five

Here are the books I've selected to begin reading aloud to the boys in week five.

We continue to read and enjoy any and all books from the Australian Geographic collection. They are high quality books that are well written and full of useful and interesting information.

I've been eyeing this series for a few years now and finally decided to read it aloud to the boys. It isn't horrible, but it isn't as wonderful as I was expecting it to be either. Also, the library no longer has all the books in the series. But despite that, we'll probably continue reading and then move on to something a little more substantial.

The Cool Tech series has been pretty good. The boys know a LOT more about most of the topics covered than I do, so it has been interesting discussing what we have learnt in the way of new information, and what we already knew about and even use.

These two books were part of Monkey's Ancient Rome unit study and both gave us an overview of lots of different aspects of Ancient Roman life.


This series is excellent. Wonderfully written and the information is presented in an engaging way so the books are fun to read.

The World Book Natural Disaster series is HUGE. It will likely take us the rest of this year and a good portion of next year to read through all the different books. Each book is long and detailed, giving general information about the disaster, as well as historical information about various places the particular disaster has occurred. These books are NOT fast reads but they are well worth the time we are investing in them.

We have continued with our rivers unit study with these two books. The boys and I are really enjoying learning more about Australia's river systems and I'm glad I chose to start off with that series of books. Then, this week, I'm including a beautiful picture book about an Aboriginal story involving a river. I love it whenever I can incorporate picture books into our unit studies.


This is another series I have been looking at for a few years and wondering when the right time was to read them aloud. I feel like all three boys are old enough finally so we are diving in this term. This is the first of four books that deals with rites of passage in life and how the major world religions mark these special times in our lives.

Another series put out by Australian Geographic that we are really enjoying.

New literature and history selections for Munchkin this week. We continue to work our way through A Series of Unfortunate Events, and also the Our Australian Girl books. Both series have been read numerous times in this household. This is the third time I'm reading the Lemony Snicket books, and the fourth time for the Our Australian Girl books (as I read them independently first before introducing them to Monster).


The sequel to The Word Spy and another GREAT way to look at language and language study a little bit differently.

Finally, I end with two books I'll be reading independently this week. I stumbled on these by accident when I was searching for other things at the library and just decided to reserve them and read them straight away.



No comments:

Post a Comment