Friday, July 22, 2022

Books I'm Currently Reading ~ Term Three: Week One

I got some good feedback last term when I chose to post about the books I'm reading, so I decided to continue posting about my personal reading choices this term as well. I'm not sure how frequently I'll post, I suppose that depends on how quickly I work through my pile of books... I've also discovered that I have some 'themes' in my reading choices.

I just started book four of the Anne of Green Gables series. I am so thoroughly enjoying reading this series finally I cannot adequately put it into words. I know I've surprised many friends from high school as they have learned that this is the very first time I'm reading books two through eight of the series. I DID read book one back in high school but for some reason stopped after that. I have a sneaking suspicion it is because school in general killed my love of reading, but there could be other reasons as well.

At any rate, my plan, after I finish the Anne books, is to start reading a Jackie French series that I have not read yet. After that I am not sure what I will do, but just the Anne books and the Miss Lily series by Jackie French should give me reading material WELL into next year.

This book was a spontaneous find when I was browsing the adult non-fiction shelves two weeks ago while we waited to be allowed into the conference room for the liquid nitrogen show. Then, when I was at the library this week, I decided I HAD to read the book sooner rather than later. I've been intrigued about the immune system ever since mine took an 18 month vacation shortly after Munchkin was born, and I'm also keen to read the latest research. Add to that, the fact that Munchkin no longer has his appendix, and therefore has an even more compromised immune system then he already seems to have, and studying about immunity suddenly seems of utmost importance again. So I hope this book will have ideas and actions I can put in to place to help keep myself and my family healthy. 

Another 'theme' that seems to run in my independent book choices is books about health and/or nutrition. Although I chose the teaching profession despite being raised by nurses, medicine and all things medical have always intrigued and fascinated me. I LOVE to watch medical dramas (and quickly found an Australian one as soon as I moved here) and I love to read and learn about medical advances and treatments and such. So it always seems that I'm drawn to books about health, medicine, nutrition and general wellness.

This is the sequel to a book that was recommended to me by two of my high school friends who have a book club they run with their (combined) six children. It is a middle grade book about a high school girl who was born without arms. I don't want to give too much away. Book one starts when she is in middle school and has to move from Kansas to Arizona and how she deals with a new school and new friends. I have known about these books for awhile and I'm super glad I picked them up at the library towards the end of term and gave them a try. I highly recommend them for young readers AND adults both.

As I attempt to change Munchkin's reading habits slightly so that he is reading books with more complex language and content level, I will be pre-reading a lot of middle grade books. Between the list of books my two high school friends have read with their children, and the books I've found on my own while browsing at the library, I will have good middle grade books to read for awhile.

I am LOVING Jordan Peterson's newest book. His introduction floored me as he explained all the horrendous health issues he, his wife and his daughter had in early 2019. Add COVID to the mix and it has been an interesting three years indeed for this man. The fact that he wrote, edited and published this book in the midst of all that makes me read it with a totally different attitude and mindset. I am reading each chapter slowly and then pausing to consider what I've learned before just diving into the next chapter and topic.

I try to always have a self-help or parenting style book on the go. I lean heavily towards Christian books in this realm of my reading but not always. Whilst Jordan Peterson is not a Christian, he has studied the Bible extensively.

This final book of mine was chosen because it ties in with Monkey's Ancient Rome unit study. I have recently decided to try to incorporate at least one of my reading selections to tie in with what one or more of the boys are studying. This is enjoyable for me, and reinforces what I'm trying to instill in the boys... that learning is a life long process.


No comments:

Post a Comment