Friday, July 22, 2022

Book Selection ~ Term Three: Week One

As a new term is upon us, I thought I would reinstate my book reading blog posts. I got rather behind with blogging in general at the end of term two and got rather confused with what new books we were reading what weeks. So I totally abandoned the posts and resolved to do better in the new term. If nothing else it will give me good incentive NOT to get behind again. We shall see how well my plan works out...

These first few books are what I call our "non-negotiable" reading... we read the Bible EVERY day of the week, and the other three books are read Monday through Friday. "The Book of Virtues" rotates with another book by the same author "The Moral Compass" and we just constantly switch back and forth. When we finish reading the Bible, we just start at the beginning and read through it again. We are ALWAYS reading these books...

Next I try to choose a book that illustrates good moral or a lesson of some sort. Other books we have read have been Aesop's Fables, Myths and Legends, as well as Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling... All three boys are really enjoying this book, as am I. How I've made it this far in life without reading any James Herriot is kind of surprising.

This book was a spontaneous find at the library when they received ALL the back ordered new books after our seventeen week Delta lockdown last year. It is a fun book to read each day. For every date it has historical things that happened as well as prominent people who were born on that day.


We're kicking off Monkey's Ancient Rome unit study this term and should be able to get some quality, in-depth study done over the course of the term. Generally speaking I do NOT like to start a unit study out with key people - but someone else in our library system is clearly studying about Julius and Augustus Caesar because both of these books were immediately on reserve when I checked them out. That means we only get them for three weeks. I didn't want to return them and reserve them a second time so I decided we would read them first. If I decide to have Monkey do a research project on either of them later in the term, THEN we'll borrow the books again.

Two new series we haven't read before... the right hand photo is a series I've been wanting to read for a few years now, but the left hand photo was another spontaneous find a few weeks ago. It is a BRAND NEW series all about various different kinds of new technology and I'm probably more excited to read it to the boys than some of them are to have it read to them!!


Our science/geography non-fiction series to start off the term. Some are continuations from last term and others are new for this term. We will be doing a term long unit study on rivers so I decided to start off with Australia's most important river system. This series about our river system is quite old, so we will be doing some online research to see if the improvements they spoke about in the book have been implemented.



I had been thinking for awhile about how best to introduce grammar into Munchkin's learning, slowly, without going too in-depth. Then I remembered this wonderful book I read to the older boys a few years ago. Within the pages you learn all about the basics of language and grammar, but in a hilarious and fun way, that keeps the process very low stress. I am really looking forward to reading this aloud to the boys again.

Finally, this book is loosely connected to Monkey's Ancient Rome studies though there are many other gods and goddesses written about besides just Roman ones. This book will likely be the temporary replacement for the James Herriot book. Firstly because it will take us a long time to finish it, and secondly because I haven't thought of any other appropriate replacements as yet.

This is not an exhaustive post of all the new books we are reading this term... I realised I didn't include books we started last term and are still continuing this term, or the two literature series I am reading aloud to Munchkin and Monkey. I could have changed this post slightly to accommodate those, but decided just to stick with the new books that we are starting "fresh" with this term -- aside from our "non-negotiable" reading that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment