Sunday, May 8, 2022

Read Aloud Book Selection ~ Term Two: Week Three

 Here is my selection of read aloud books that I have chosen to begin during Week Three of this term. We most definitely will not finish all of these books this coming week, especially not the long chapter books or detailed non-fiction books, but they are all ready and waiting for us when we read aloud Monday morning and we're excited. 

I've also raised the bar a bit and decided we can bite off a little bit more this week as we work towards getting back to what I consider a full work load for our family.


New titles this week for both of our literature series that I'm reading to the boys. Munchkin is really enjoying A Series of Unfortunate Events, and the two older boys and I are getting sucked deeper and deeper into the wonderful world of Harry Potter. I'll be interested to see what I think of this fourth book as SO FAR, The Prison of Azkaban is my favourite.



All three boys have cells and plants as part of their science curriculum in one form or another this year so I've pretty much cleared the library out of all the books to do with the subject and we're working our way through them. I recognise that some of these books might repeat some of the information, but by using several different series and different levels of books, it covers the material well for all three boys.

This is a new addition this week to Monster's French Revolution unit study. I have NEVER done any in-depth study of Napoleon in my educational career so I'm possibly more excited than even Monster.


Science/Geography topics primarily for Monkey and Munchkin though Moster enjoys listening in as well, as these are quality series, written by excellent authors. As a side note of explanation, Monster has also already studied all these topics in his earlier years of school so listening in as I read to the two younger boys serves more as a review for him - or even as an opportunity to fill any gaps - since over the years the library has VASTLY improved their junior non-fiction collection.

This series is proving to be an excellent one (YAY for finding it at random in the library one day) and so I decided that "potato" would be the next food we would learn about. I am interested to see if I learn anything new about this humble food that I LOVE, and I'm also keen for a new recipe or two to try.

I have a total of just FOUR books left to wrap up Monkey's Ancient Greece unit before we move on to Ancient Rome. The Greek Gods & Heroes book will take awhile as I'll likely only read about one or two per day and there are 40 to cover in the book... but the book in the right hand photo will easily be read this week.

Finally, this book is joining our "character" reading portion of our day. It is what we read very first in the morning before anything else. We start with three chapters of the Bible, then one poem or story from "The Book of Virtues" or "The Moral Compass" (We alternate between these two books and read and re-read them continuously), and then I try to pick another book that would be considered character building or written by someone of high moral standards. Previously I've read folktales and fables from around the world and Rudyard Kipling's "Just So Stories" and decided James Herriot was a good next choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment