Sunday, May 22, 2022

Read Aloud Book Selection ~ Term Two: Week Five

Sunday night here and time for the weekly post that gives you a sneak peak at the books I'll be reading aloud to the boys in the coming week. As you could see from my Weekly Review blog post, we finished a stack of non-fiction books last week, so it was time for a full refill of books this week. I'm super excited to dive into all these books and learn lots of new stuff...

We started reading this book last term, but didn't get much read with all the medical dramas, and I decided the best thing to do is just start from the beginning again. There is a LOT of information in this book and I don't want to skip over anything by assuming that we fully remember what we were trying to read in the midst of constant interruption last term.

We continue with our Biology theme in science... all three boys have a biology focus in their science curriculum this year which is really helpful as it allows me to cover more material together as a group.

We'll start the last two books for Monkey's Ancient Greece unit study. This means I'll need to start seeing what books the library has on offer about Ancient Rome, as we will move on to that time period next. Researching book titles for unit studies is one of my favourite activities so I'm excited to start my search this week.

I am really enjoying learning more about the history of some of the most commonly eaten foods around the world. It is interesting to learn where each food originated, as well as how and why the food travelled around the world.

These are two new series of books I discovered at the library in the past week or two. Recently the library reorganised some of the books and thankfully all the junior non-fiction titles have moved to a large bookshelf very close to the children's area of the library. This means Munchkin can be attending an event, or sitting and quietly reading, and I'm able to browse books and also keep an eye on him. It is BRILLIANT!! I've quickly scanned through these series and they look amazing so I'm keen to start reading them and learn lots of new stuff.

I chose two new titles from these series as we continue to work our way through all the books. Again, both of these series do a good job of ticking off lots of boxes for Munchkin and Monkey as far as their curriculum content is concerned. But beyond that, both series have many titles that are of great interest to myself and the three boys, so the fact that it satisfies government requirements is just icing on the cake for us.

Finally, this is the second to last book in this interesting new series. This is the third time through studying and learning about the human body (as it is part of Munchkin's curriculum) so it is always nice to have new books and newer information to read about.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment