Saturday, March 28, 2020

Term One: Week Nine ~ Isolation Begins, Infections Fester, and Spiders Camp Out

I don't think we'll ever look back at the year 2020 and call it boring.
First the bush fires, the the flooding rain, and now COVID-19.
But I am trusting and believing that good things will come from this year, as our silver lining in what I'm sure will be labeled the worst year ever.
I will say to, that while we are seasoned homeschoolers, and suddenly being at home more isn't something foreign to us, it IS an adjustment for us as well. We DO leave the house... for church, for trips to the library, for social play dates at the park with our friends in homeschool group, and for excursions all around our beautiful city. So as the isolation continues and gets more strict, it will mean adjustments for us as well... but at least our structured book learning goes on per normal.

This little spider has taken up residence on our clothes line. Every night she builds a web that stretches from the midpoint of the line, to the railing for the back verandah. Every day I carefully hang the laundry trying not to utterly destroy her beautiful creation. Yet nearly every day, I do so much damage, that I know she will go hungry until the next day.

This is Munchkin's arm. He scraped it a week ago, and it wasn't a bad scrape and it happened in the home, so we basically ignored it. Lesson learned... next time we'll at least wash the wound to make sure it is cleaned out well. Trust me when I say that this was an improvement. This photograph was taken Thursday morning. Monday, when I took him to the doctor, it was angry and weeping gross gunk. Never a dull moment in this house I tell you, even in isolation. 



 Independent reading for the Munchkin... two chapter books (above photos) and two easy picture books.

 A lovely picture book I read to the boys about Katherine Johnson... we are preparing to watch the movie Hidden Figures so we started with this picture book, we'll continue with a DK biography about her, and then the movie.

Independent selections for Monkey... 

 I finished reading White Fang aloud to Monster this week - and we both really enjoyed it. He also read yet another Horrible Histories book independently.

Another independent selection for Munchkin. 

 Read aloud selections... The Upside Down History of Down Under was primarily for Munchkin's history unit study as we begin to study Australian history. However the older boys listened to and loved it. Then I read Salty and Sugary Snacks to Monkey and Monster. They were suitably grossed out... which is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment