Saturday, July 1, 2023

Term Two: Week Ten ~ Birthday Celebration and End of the Term

Week Ten has arrived! My rule continues that whenever each boy is finished with his assigned work for the term, he is officially on school holidays. Munchkin finished up on Tuesday, Monster continued through the week as he is aiming to be finished with all of his Year 12 work by the September school holidays, and Monkey took his work right to the end of the week finishing up on Friday. 

This is one of the succulents growing in the garden at church. Munchkin and I are convinced that it is going to flower because it has grown the long stalk, so we are observing it every week and photographing it.


I have started knitting for three separate charities. Two are Australian only and one is international. I'm focusing on making womens and mens hats/beanies, and squares that will eventually be assembled into blankets. These are some of the pieces I've finished recently. I love having these projects to work on. It means I have something to keep my mind and fingers busy with when we are driving back and forth to church on Sundays. I also knit when I'm waiting for one of the boys and it isn't enough time to warrant trying to read. Recently I found that I can work on the squares while I sit at the table monitoring Munchkin during his written schoolwork time, and I also knit during date night on Sunday nights when hubby and I watch several episodes of Law & Order: SVU

One of Monster's electives through high school has been Marine Aquaculture and part of his studies has been building the six foot stand and fish tank with his father. Now that the tank is established and has fish in it, maintaining the tank also counts as part of his elective. This particular day he is doing a 25% water change and scraping gunk off the glass.

The only "school" related photo I took this week was a picture of Munchkin finishing up the last of his work on Tuesday.


Wednesday was dad's birthday so we started the celebrations in the morning with our traditional bacon and pancake breakfast. Munchkin measured out all the ingredients and got good practice cracking the eggs. I always have him crack them one at a time into a separate bowl. That way if there are any issues we can scoop out the shell easily.

In order to get to the eating earlier I cook the bacon in one pan on the stove, pancakes in a frying pan on the stove...

And then we also use an electric fry pan that allows us to cook 2-4 pancakes at a time (depending on size). Munchkin got some good practice in with pouring the pancake batter.

Straight after breakfast/brunch, Munchkin got started on daddy's birthday cake so it would have sufficient cooling time for the icing.




These days pretty much the only job I have when there is baking to be done, is to manage the oven. Munchkin is very capable of doing everything else and we have started having some discussions about him choosing Food Technology as one of his electives when he starts high school next year.

Pizza was on the menu for daddy's special birthday dinner. The left photo is one of the batches of dough after it had risen. We made three batches in total. The right hand photo (photo credit: Munchkin) is me assembling two pizzas in readiness for the oven.

Another pizza assembly photo.
Photo Credit: Munchkin

A couple of pizzas waiting for the oven, surrounded by our many topping options.

Three batches of home made dough yield eight individual pizzas and we had three full pizzas leftover after everyone had eaten their fill. I did some quick estimates on cost and discovered it is MUCH more economical than eating out and much more delicious too. Plus we end up with leftovers when we make our own - eating out JUST feeds us all now with NO leftovers.

The finished birthday cake.


We finished these last few books on Thursday.


The last After School Activity at the library for the term was a super cute echidna craft.

Also during the week Monster set up this small fish tank inside the 4 foot tank that we are selling, as a hospital tank for one of his fish in the 6 foot tank that is sick. It took him most of an afternoon to clean the tank and get it fully set up and ready for the sick fish. I didn't get any other photos of the process but Munchkin helped him with the setup process.


I am a member of a group on Facebook called the Scary Mommy Book Club and at the end of every month we create a collage of all the books we've finished reading that month. I was super excited to #1 - find an online collage creator that I could figure out how to work, and #2 - create a collage of my read books that looked attractive. So I decided to share it with you all. These are all the books I finished reading in June. Some were read alouds for the boys, the rest were independent reading for myself. No, I didn't start AND finish all these books in June. I'm not THAT good.

Monster and Monkey had their last youth group meeting for this term and it was a special dress up and trivia night. We are blessed that their friends have a HUGE collection of funky dress up clothes so they headed up in the late afternoon for food and fun before heading off to the church.

They are a pretty good looking bunch of teens.


I got in four days of walking this week which was good.





Independent reading for Munchkin.



No comments:

Post a Comment