Saturday, April 9, 2022

Term One: Week Ten ~ Early Start to School Holidays

With another all-night trip to Sydney Children's Hospital towards the end of last week (Thursday night/Friday morning) I determined this last week of the term was going to be a restful (as much as possible) week for Munchkin. Therefore I officially declared us on school holidays (one week early). Monster worked independently on a few bits and pieces, but otherwise we just enjoyed the down time. I got straight into some cleaning and organising, and got to work on marking all the boys work and filing it away for our next registration time, but doing those tasks help me to relax and feel prepared for Term Two so they are essential things for me to do.

Munchkin got a surprise visit from his best homeschool friend, who dropped off a care package. They gifted him with a Pokemon Paint With Water book and a Minecraft Seek and Find book. He spent lots of time this week working on both of those.

I allowed the boys their "holiday" screen time, which is one hour per day instead of 30 minutes, so they all enjoyed that.

Monster enjoyed reading books on his phone, watching food and game theory videos, and chatting live with some of his friends.



After two brief days of sun to dry out and wash laundry, the rain returned! I found out this week that though it is only April, Sydney has already received rain equivalent to the annual rainfall, and YET, more rain (above normal levels) is predicted through April, May and possibly into June as well! I may have lived in Oregon for 21 years, but I'm starting to find the rain taxing.

Munchkin spent LOTS of time reading independently as he missed being able to read while he was sick and in hospital.

We finished two literature books this week... Harry Potter for Monkey and A Little Princess for Munchkin. The boys really enjoyed both books. We started the next Harry Potter book in the series for Monkey and I've started reading "The Neverending Story" to Munchkin - which really means all three boys get to listen to it.




Munchkin LOVES books that are part of a series... he is hard to keep up with... but thankfully the wonderful podcast that I listen to has suggested yet another series that I think he'll like.

Monkey finished a PRC book this week... this is where Monkey and I are MOST alike... he is a slow and steady reader like me! But don't be fooled, he loves books just as much as the other two boys... but their reading personalities are as diverse as their general personalities.

This book was part of our Bible/character reading first thing in the morning. I try to include a book that either builds their character, or teaches them something important from history. I'm not sure what my next selection for Term 2 will be as I'm tossing several options around in my head. This is where the larger age gaps can sometimes pose a problem... but I will find a book that will work even if it means getting creative.

I finished off these two books with the two older boys this week, bringing an end to our school based reading aloud until next term begins. The photo on the left was a book I chose as part of Monster's Marine and Aquaculture Technology elective and it was a brilliant choice. We learnt SO much about the current disastrous state of our oceans, as well as the work that is being done to reverse it. I agree with the author, it is a tragedy that we know more about space then we do about the deep ocean, when the ocean is our lifeline.

The book on the right was part of Monkey's Ancient Greek unit study for history. It was quite a different style book for studying Alexander the Great and while we both agreed that it wasn't the best, we do think different was good. It was a mix of facts about Alexander together with myths and legends about Greece.



The final collection of independent reading for Munchkin... my ever voracious reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment