Saturday, January 8, 2022

Summer School Holidays: Week Four ~ Settling In Back at Home

Our first full week of school holidays at home and we got unpacked, relaxed, and settled back in to life at home. The current Omicron outbreak in Australia means we are staying VERY close to home and only going out for essentials. I'm once again, exceedingly glad that we made the choice to homeschool so many years ago as it means that yet another severely disrupted school year will be much less disrupted for my boys.

I have learned from some of the mistakes I've made through this COVID pandemic. Never again will I assume that I can wait to reserve books we need for a specific term at a time that suits me. Instead, I now reserve them early as anything can happen. So, that said, with the beginning of the school year still four weeks away, I've put ALL the books we need for Term 1 on reserve NOW. The government has promised no more lockdowns, however, people are getting sick from the Omicron variant so quickly that ultimately so many people will be sick, that essential services will start to close. 

This photo above is my first load of books I picked up from the library when they opened Tuesday morning. I put 60 books on reserve online while we were still up in Queensland so they would be waiting for me when we got home.

My read aloud table next to my chair is very bare at the moment. All we are reading through the holidays is the Bible, the Book of Virtues, and we'll now add On This Day that came from the library. Once school starts we'll add back our literature and our non-fiction selections for history, geography, science and health.

Daddy played some chess this week with Monkey and Munchkin...

The sky to the east...

versus the sky to the west...

I thought we were in for a doozy of a storm but it missed us completely...

Our second haul of books from the library on Thursday... the left photo is a blurry photo I quickly snapped at the library showing that our books alone needed a whole shelf all of their own.






Finally, the selection of independent reading Munchkin did this week... He had to wait for fun books from the library until I was finished reserving what we NEEDED for school.

No comments:

Post a Comment