Saturday, January 15, 2022

Summer School Holidays: Week Five ~ Photography, Birthday Celebrations, Skin Dramas, and COVID

What a WILD and crazy, topsy turvy, nothing I expected sort of week this was!!
We started the week at church, and after the service and our morning tea time, we did some photos with our Pastors, their daughter, and a dear friend...

First we did a "girls" photo... Me, Auntie H (Monkey's godmother), Pastor A, and their daughter, Auntie L (Monster's godmother)...

Auntie H was practicing using my camera as we got set up and took a couple of shots of Pastor A and Munchkin, so I cropped the photos down to focus on the two of them... they are super cute photos!!


Finally the photograph we've been trying to take since November... a picture of our family with our pastors!

The grass at church just continues to get longer and longer because every time the groundsman tries to come and mow it, the rain starts again. But it DOES mean you find groovy things in the grass... we found this funky fungus growing when we were getting ready for our photo session.

I'm participating in my Facebook Photography Challenge group again this year. Our first challenge for the year is "monochrome" so I spent some time on my birthday roaming the neighbourhood for some good examples... The first was the "brown monochrome" of the bark that falls from the trees near our house. The right hand photo is the whole tree, the left hand photo is the "monochrome" photo I submitted for the challenge...

Australia is experiencing a La Nina summer which means cooler than normal temperatures and LOTS of rain... so it is cloudy more days than it is not. When I was out walking the clouds were all different shades of grey so it fit well with the monochrome theme for this fortnight... We are allowed to submit a total of three photos for each challenge "theme"... for this first week I chose to submit only two photos.

As I was walking laps on the footpath near our house I happened to spot this spider covered with baby spiders on its back. I snapped the photo quickly and carefully, and let the spider go on its way.

I also discovered grapes growing near a neighbour's house... all the walking I've done on this footpath since it was put down in April 2020 and I never noticed the grapes before.

These beautiful flowers grow along the fence of another neighbour's house... the owner is possibly going to tear the house down and rebuild, so I thought I better photograph the flowers in case they disappear.


In the afternoon of the 10th, Munchkin worked hard to mix up a batch of brownies for my birthday dessert. I cooked a dinner of burgers with all the fixings and then we had these delicious chocolate brownies. 

Little did I know that everything was going to change the very next day... Tuesday afternoon I developed a fever. Wednesday morning I got a PCR test, and Wednesday evening the result came back positive. So I went into isolation in our bedroom and the boys and my husband continued with life as normal in the rest of the house.

No reading aloud in the evenings, not even the Bible, so the boys played lots and lots of Monopoly...



Just because COVID wasn't enough fun for one week, Munchkin had skin dramas as well. He had two mosquito bites on his shin merge into one super itchy bite, he fell in the grass and had an allergic reaction on his knee, his big toe looked like it was trying to get infected, and he started to get the little bumps on his fingers that indicate an eczema flare up... so I sent photos to our family doctor and we had a telephone conference on Tuesday evening. The treatment was our usual treatment for his allergic and super sensitive skin, and thankfully he responded well and quickly.

My COVID was a mild case... I had a low grade fever, a headache off and on for five days, food tasted different/weird, and I had enough fatigue that I slept from 10:30pm until 8:30am every night. Therefore, I spent my isolation time in the bedroom resting, drinking lots of fluids, and reading a LOT. I started and finished "We Were Eight Years in Power" by Ta-Nehisi Coates, and I finished "Tandia" by Bryce Courtney which I had only read a few chapters of before getting sick. I don't think I've read that much since before having children.

A side note about COVID... it is affecting every day life. Warehouse workers and transport workers are getting sick and there simply are NOT enough people available to get goods to the stores. This is our local grocery store... the fruit and vegetable area... and as you can see there is almost nothing available to buy... the meat and dairy sections, toilet paper/facial tissues, and rice are the same...







Last but not least... Munchkin's independent reading for the week... Monster and Monkey are both reading daily as well but Monster reads books on his phone and Monkey is reading a 3 in 1 book so hasn't finished it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment