Sunday, September 5, 2021

Term Three: Week Eight ~ Losing a Bit of Focus

As many of you know, lockdown for Great Sydney began on 25 June, and we have now been in lockdown for ten full weeks. While the lockdown itself has not really affected me at all this time around, the ten weeks within the lockdown period have been difficult and emotional. Since it all began we have learned that a dear friend is battling cancer, several of my husband's extended family are gravely ill and three have recently died, a dear friend in the states who was like an adopted grandmother to me died, and my mum had a bad fall and broke her arm. It all sort of snowballed and the last week has been an emotional one indeed. So I scaled back life and learning to the bare essentials and focused on getting myself emotionally back on track. This is obviously reflected in my lack of photographs for this week, but rest assured that next week will be much more normal, despite the fact that we are winding down this term and eagerly looking forward to a two week "spring break"! I intend for us to relax, have fun, and gear up to tackle the fourth and final term of this strange and bizarre year that 2021 has become.

This beautiful woman left the world to be with the Lord. Thanks to the wonders of modern technology I had the opportunity to view her memorial service online. The priest said that one definition of saint is "a person whom the light shines through" and this was SO true of her. Never in the 36 years I knew her did I ever hear a cross or unkind word cross her lips. Each time I saw her she only had a smile, kind words, and a warm hug for me. The light absolutely shined through her. The memories have come fast and furious but I am so glad I have so many memories. I can visualize her entire house as if I were standing inside it, I remember making chocolate syrup, and I keenly remember the old fashioned ice cream churner that my siblings and I loved to take turns working in the summers. I am thankful that she had the opportunity to meet my eldest son and I'm even more thankful that he has conscious memories (albeit it sketchy ones) of his time getting to know her during our last trip to the states many years ago. She was my confirmation sponsor when I was 13 years old, and we would meet one night a week through the confirmation process to go over my lessons and the things I was learning. Even after confirmation was finished we continued the weekly meet ups and enjoyed a meal together well into my senior years of high school. Now I have wonderful memories and the stack of letters she wrote me after I moved to Australia to enjoy as the years go by. She was like an adopted grandmother to me and I will forever be thankful that she was a part of my life. She will never be forgotten and she will be deeply missed.



Friday Night Family Games Night was a success this week. All five of us enjoyed a good game of Ticket to Ride and then after Munchkin was tucked into bed the four of us played several rounds of Code Names before the older boys headed off to bed.



Independent reading selections for Monkey and Munchkin...

The two read aloud selections we finished this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment