Sunday, September 12, 2021

Term Three: Week Nine ~ Creativity

Week nine of the term and the boys are all working hard to finish off their work for this term. As they come to a logical stopping place for each subject (chapter end or whatever) I allow them to stop, so they are all seeing the light at the end of the tunnel of this term. Therefore, they are each finding that they have more free time to pursue their creative interests, which is clearly reflected in this week's selection of photographs...

Munchkin and I are the early risers on a Sunday morning... so while the other three enjoy a bit of a sleep in, he and I find things to amuse, occupy, or entertain us. This Sunday, while I enjoyed some "brainless" time playing Farmville 2 on the family gaming computer, Munchkin used my computer to do some work on his little drawings he is making.

I managed a couple of shots of our "normal" school routine...
Monster multi-tasking and collecting online rewards while exercising on the stationary bicycle, and Munchkin working on his spelling unit for the week.

Meanwhile, Monkey relished his free time this week and got extremely creative... first he pulled out his gigantic watercolour paint set that a friend gave him for Christmas and got to work...

These are the two beautiful paintings that he finished this week. He did all the artwork, drawing the pictures in pencil first, outlining them in black pen where needed, and then painting them.

Then one evening, during our read aloud routine, he decided to make a book for a 3-year old friend of his from homeschool group who adores him and misses him tremendously.








The two older boys and I posted the finished book off to Monkey's friend while walking up to an appointment Friday afternoon.

While the older boys and I were away for a couple of hours on Friday afternoon, Munchkin enjoyed some quality one-on-one time with daddy and they spent part of their time playing some board games together.

I thought I would start including a few photographs each week about the learning and growing that I am doing... so I'll start off with my stack of books that I'm currently reading. YES, I read multiple books at once. I am physically incapable of only reading one book at a time. NO, I do not read all of these books every day. Instead I choose what to read based on the time I have, the level of noise around me, and how tired I am.

I walk with Munchkin every weekday for 30-45 minutes and generally average between 5000 and 6000 steps when I walk with him. So on Saturday and Sunday I try to get more walking in. My daily goal I've set on my pedometer app on my phone is 8000 so I aim for that on the weekends and if I make it to 10,000 all the better.

Since the term is winding to a close, my brain is beginning to think ahead to Term 4. These are some of the read aloud selections we own that I'm considering for next term. I still have NO idea when we will have access to our local library (even from a click and collect aspect). 

Some fun "selfie" photos of a walking session this week...

As we live in one of the council areas (similar to counties for my US readers) of concern, we are required to wear masks whenever we are outside our own home (indoors and outdoors) regardless of our proximity to other people. So Munchkin and I mask up for our walks and it is a good thing we do because a LOT of people use this new footpath now for exercise.

Several days this week Munchkin walked carefully while balancing a soft R2D2 toy on his head or shoulder. If you look carefully you can just see it on his head (though it blends in a bit with the car behind him).



Independent reading selections for Munchkin...

Two read aloud selections we finished this week... the WWII book was for Monster and I read Pinocchio aloud to Monkey and Monster. It always surprises me how VASTLY different the classics and fairy tales are in comparison to what Disney makes them into.



Munchkin is enjoying re-reading the Narnia books that I have already read aloud to him...




His final independent selections for the week... as you can tell... when Munchkin wasn't working on school work, walking, or creating, he was reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment