Saturday, August 7, 2021

Term Three: Week Four ~ Enjoying the Outdoors

This week the weather was beautiful... sunny and we even had a couple of warmer, spring-like days. It is wonderful to be able to open the windows and the doors in the afternoon to get some fresh air and warmth into the house. Whilst the boys worked hard on the written, structured schoolwork, we also worked hard to get outdoors every single day.


When I went for a walk around the corner from our house, I discovered a couple of Black Cockatoos feasting in the tree. So I raced home, got my big camera, and raced back to the tree. The birds in our neighbourhood are used to people so we can often get quite close to the tree to watch the birds.


After taking a bit of a break, I'm back to working on the photography challenge that I take part in on Facebook. The theme changes every two weeks. I am going to do the best I can to meet the themes within the lockdown restrictions, which means whatever I can photograph in my home and in my neighbourhood. The other people in the group are wonderful and totally understanding of the current situation we are in here in Sydney. These three photos are for the them 3 in 1... I decided to photograph one of the succulents that Munchkin is growing. I'm not super happy with how these turned out, so haven't decided if I'm going to submit these photos, or try another set...



Here is another set of 3 in 1 photos I took of the tree that the Black Cockatoos like. I'm happier with this set of photos so I'll probably submit there while I think about re-structuring the succulent set. For each theme we are allowed to post three different submissions.


Monster had an extra chore this week mowing our front lawn. It is very small and the lawn mower is so good, that the chore is done in about 15 minutes.

Monster chose to ride the stationary bike for 30 minutes each morning as his exercise. We dropped a bit of a parental bomb on the boys this week and changed their school start time from 10:30am to 9:00am and it freaked them out a bit, but they adjusted nicely. Monster is a bit like me and isn't ready to start thinking too much early in the morning so he asked for permission to ride the bike at 9am and then start his school work.

Monkey and Munchkin working on their schoolwork together at the dining table bright and early in the morning. Working together doesn't always work well for these two, but every once in awhile a miracle happens. Munchkin is busy working on his IEW writing paragraph (reading the story he chose for his narrative retelling) while Monkey and I got started on our math assignment for the day.

Munchkin spent 30 minutes jumping on the trampoline this week... doing "super jumps"! This was after going on a long walk with me so he definitely got his exercise for this particular day.


He also potted his lavender and rosemary that he had propagated from church.


Munchkin enjoyed playing a game of chess with daddy one afternoon...

Monster and Monkey played a Pokemon battle together one afternoon...

Munchkin learning about triangles on his Khan Academy unit for the day...

Some excitement this week was that we discovered a baby starfish in our marine fish tank. We have NO idea where this little creature came from. We haven't had a star fish in the fish tank for YEARS. So we will see what happens to this little guy. Hopefully he will survive and grow.

Munchkin spent an portion of one day sorting through his big box of Pokemon cards to put together a deck for having battles with his brothers... in the process his shelves of his stuff sort of exploded, requiring a rather large cleaning project for the afternoon... But he worked hard and stayed focused and the end product was excellent.

The left photo is the BEFORE shot and the right photo is the AFTER photo...


Another perspective of the cleaned area and we now have a nice clean playroom.

Monster working on some catch-up drawing lessons...

Our drawing lesson for this week... Egg Yolks - this top photo is Monkey's drawing...

This bottom photo is my drawing... and I'm not sure why Munchkin's picture is missing so I'll have to add it to next week's blog post.

More photos for my Facebook Photography Challenge... the new theme is colour. This is the beautiful tree in the backyard of our neighbours across the road. When I walk along the side of their backyard I can enjoy their beautiful tree.

This tree grows around the corner and down the street from our house and is an absolutely beautiful yellow colour and it looks fantastic against a bright blue winter sky.



A Saturday afternoon of computer gaming while I did school planning and other jobs around the house. The extended gaming time they get on Saturdays is a way to (hopefully) insure that I get some school planning time each week.

Munchkin was super happy when Monkey agreed to have a Pokemon battle with him.

Finally, Munchkin was happy when Monster agreed to set him bike up in the trainer so he could ride his bike as a stationary exercise bicycle.




Monkey's literature selection (read aloud) that we finished this week...





All of the books shown here, with the exception of the Jules Verne book, are all independent choices for Munchkin and Monkey. Monster is working his way through a series of books he has as e-books on his phone that his best friend in Queensland recommended to him. So until he finishes those I won't have any photos of books that he has finished reading.


Finally, a couple of photos I took on my phone when Munchkin and I were exercising together this week. One day (left photo) he chose to walk with me, and on the other day he rode his scooter board while I walked.

No comments:

Post a Comment