Sunday, April 7, 2024

Term One: Week Ten ~ Easter and Autumn Storms

Week Ten had a very relaxed feel to it. We started the week with a lovely Easter celebration at church and then a relaxing Easter Monday public holiday before back to normal routine on Tuesday. The boys know, now that we are nearly done with school, that as soon as they finish their math and writing assignments they will be done for the term as there won't be enough time to complete another chapter or math, or do a long, detailed writing assignment. 
It is always interesting to see who is most motivated to finish early. Despite the "carrot" of an hour of computer per day instead of thirty minutes, someone always drags their work right out to the last day!! We shall see if this first term of the 2024 school year is any different.

We finished lots of excellent books this week... These two are specific to unit studies for Munchkin and both were enjoyable. The community gardens book was US based so not exactly what we were after, but it did give him an idea of what to expect when we start attending our local community garden meetings later this month.

I never tire of learning about Cleopatra and therefore thoroughly enjoyed reading these two books to Munchkin. The right hand book was a new addition to the library collection and we really enjoyed the humorous twist they put to it. I will be looking for some adult non-fiction books to read about Cleopatra in the near future plus I have a Colleen McCullough book about Antony and Cleopatra that looks fascinating and is now thoroughly tempting me.

The book on the left was EXCELLENT and I highly recommend it. The boys and I really enjoyed learning more specifically how Aboriginals us fire to manage and look after their Country. The photo on the right was a re-read as I read it aloud to Monster a couple of years ago. I really enjoy learning about specific people (be they men or women) who do exceptional things in tough times. Sadly this book was damaged when we received it and I don't have a lot of faith in the library to either repair it or replace it, so not sure it will be available when it is Munchkin's time to study the World Wars.

Left Photo: another book for Munchkin
Right Photo: Monkey and I are enjoying learning more about the Industrial Revolution as it pertains to England and Australia.

Monkey's elbow wound is nearly healed and now he simply hopes that he'll have a fabulous scar.

Monkey and I worked hard to finish off our math chapter and are now done with math until next term. All Monkey has left to complete to be on school holidays is a final narrative writing assignment on Daniel in the Lion's Den, and a drawing as well.

The cucumbers Munchkin grew from seeds died (we're not sure why) so he decided to plant some garlic in the pot. After watching several videos about how easy it is to grow your own garlic he was keen to give it a try. According to all the videos we are planting in the correct season so hopefully it will be successful.
After talking to the neighbour up the road we think we planted the cucumber too late!
I'm hoping the people at the community garden will have some answers for us as well.



Left Photo: I have been participating in a daily push-up challenge with Monster and Monkey. Basically, on the first of January we started with one push up. Each successive day we add another push-up. So two push-ups on 2nd Jan, three on 3rd Jan, and I think you get the idea. We are nearly up to 100 push ups and I have to do them in batches of 15-20 throughout my day. I finally got around to getting a photo - and YES I do push-ups on my knees. Maybe next year I'll attempt full push-ups from my toes.
Photo Credit: Munchkin

Right Photo: Our tomato plants have flowers. It is a cherry tomato variety so we are hoping we will get some fruit before the weather gets too cold. 

Friday and into the early hours of Saturday we got hit with an East Coast Low. Some areas of the state saw rainfall between 100-200mm and there was flooding EVERYWHERE. Our dam was already close to capacity so I imagine it spilled (though I haven't checked yet) and at least two rivers flooded their banks. Many areas were evacuated and lots of people suffered local flooding, power outages, and branches and trees downed. I tried to take a trip to Riverwood library Saturday (late morning) after everything was over, but a large portion of the train line was underwater so that plan failed. I learned a valuable lesson about checking train information on my computer rather than relying on live updates on my phone (which were still showing that all trains were on-time despite a dozen or more being cancelled).
This photo above was taken just after 5am as I stood on the front veranda, sipping tea, listening to the thunderstorm, and watched the street and footpath flood. The water flooded our driveway, but thankfully didn't get past the footpath this time around.

I only managed two walks this week. One on Tuesday and one on Saturday.



No comments:

Post a Comment