Sunday, February 11, 2024

Term One: Week Two ~ Finding Our Routine

Week two of the term found us getting a little more familiar with our new routine. Some things haven't changed despite the move (reading aloud first thing in the morning) but until we are better unpacked and settled in, some routines are different than what they will eventually be. But we got down to the business of learning and had a good week where school was concerned. I gave the boys a review writing assignment (narrative retelling) and both of them did an excellent job. Munchkin also had to do more independent work this week than he is used to, and he rose to the occasion and I was pleasantly surprised as he went above and beyond what I had required.

Just a snapshot of Munchkin while he and I were working on our Spanish assignment for the day.

Two books we finished reading this week. The left photo is part of Munchkin's geography unit study about all things to do with water, and the right photo is one of his literature read aloud selections for this term.

I found lots of bargain books this week. There are four "free little libraries" and one charity discount shop within walking distance of our home. I found these two books in one free little library. The book on the left was on my "library to read" booklist and the book on the right was also great find. I have already read the book, but I grabbed it anyway because I'm trying to determine if I will read the book again sometime in the future. 
My rule for keeping books I have already read is that they MUST be books I want to eventually read to grandchildren OR books I will read and re-read for myself. So I will keep Matthew's book for the time being and if I haven't re-read it in the near(ish) future than I will pass it along for someone else to enjoy.

Friday Munchkin and I took a long walk to check out a free little library we found by surprise when we were on the bus a few weeks ago. That free little library was quite disappointing, but on the way home we had to pass the charity discount shop and I promised Munchkin we could have a look inside. While he examined their selection of games, I of course, scoured the book section. I found "Alexander Hamilton" and was thrilled to add it to my home library. Our library doesn't have the book and my rule for buying books is I ONLY buy books that I can't access through the two library systems we have membership too now.
It was a GREAT week for books.

Munchkin's plants are doing well. The coriander/cilantro and his Snake plant are both thriving - sadly blogger refuses to rotate the photo to the horizontal position that I edited it for (left photo). The tomatoes have all been transplanted into our tomato pot and are growing well. This might be the time that we are finally able to successfully grow food.

We have flowers on the apple mint (far plant) and the wildflowers are growing well (middle pots) but the other flowers in the netted pots aren't fairing quite as well. Only one has sprouted and seems to be thriving. We will continue to care for them and post progress photos.


Lots of walking this week - two trips to the shopping centre and one to the extra free little library gave us the higher step counts. The smaller walk was the day we had to take a trip to our local post office. I'm enjoying having the opportunity to walk more.



No comments:

Post a Comment