Saturday, February 24, 2024

Term One: Week Four ~ Storms, Floods, Library Books and Youth Group

Week Four started off with some drama and excitement as we got a large thunderstorm, complete with about an hour of torrential, drenching rain. This wouldn't be a problem, except that stormwater drainage is a HUGE problem on our street. So much so that when we get extended periods of heavy rain, the storm drains cannot cope, and the street floods.


I alerted our neighbour two doors down that the street was flooding and she (along with several other people on the street) opted to move her car to higher ground. She walked home via the centre of the road and the water was nearly knee deep.

Thankfully the water didn't breach our verandah, but it did go all the way down the driveway and halfway up our front yard. Munchkin thought it was fantastic and spent some time wading and jumping in the water.

Meanwhile I just kept a close eye on the water level and prayed that it would stop raining soon as I knew if it didn't we would have the potential of water IN the house. Thankfully the rain finally stopped and the water had a chance to drain away. This time I don't think any cars suffered permanent damage. When it flooded just before Christmas, two cars were completely flooded out.


Some of our non-fiction books that we finished this week. Two are specific to Munchkin's curriculum content (the water cycle books) and the other two cover subject matter for both Munchkin and Monkey.

Later in the week Munchkin and I went for a walk to visit the free little library further from our house, and Munchkin enjoyed balancing on the wooden fence near the park.

Progress photos of the tomato plant - Munchkin and I are both thrilled that it is growing well. We just hope that it will fruit before the weather turns too cold.

Two longer reads that we finished later in the week. The second Indian in the Cupboard book was a literature selection for Munchkin and the WWI book was specific to Monkey's learning.

My library bookshelves were cleared off Friday morning and ready for a new load of books. Munchkin and I took a trip to our old library and then I dropped him off at our friend's house so he could attend youth group with his older brothers for the very first time.

Sixty-one library books loaded into our old pram! I was so happy to pick all these new books up. After I dropped Munchkin off I made my way home via train and bus.

Our library bookshelf is happy now that it is full again. The bottom shelf looks a bit empty but so far it houses books that Monkey specifically asked me to borrow for him for his independent reading, and I'm sure the shelf won't stay empty for long.

My three independent reading books that I borrowed from the library for my own personal reading time. I'm super excited to dive into all three of these books.

Munchkin enjoying dinner with his brothers and his friends before youth group.

They enjoy a dinner of sausages, bread and salad, before the husband/father drives them to and from the church when youth group is held. Nearly every week they also have a chilly sauce contest. Here their friend is taking a video of Monster as he tries some super hot chilli.

Only clocked two walks this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment