Saturday, February 18, 2023

Term One: Week Three ~ Birthday Celebrations Galore

Week Three was a week of birthday celebrations as we marked another year for Monster, and also for Munchkin's best friend, Mr L. Originally I was going to do a full week of school despite the celebrations, but then we got the added surprise that Nana spent a few days with us, so in the end I basically cancelled school and we focused on family time and social time with friends. Enjoy this HUGE photo dump of our celebrations and fun through the week.

When the boys birthdays fall close to Sunday they like to take a simple cake to church for morning tea. It is easy to do because they all LOVE the simple chocolate mud cake from the grocery store that sells for a very reasonable price and is super delicious. Monster enjoyed having his godmother and godfather at church as it made for an extra special celebration. I only wish I had thought to get a photo of him with them.

Sunday afternoon the boys enjoyed a game of Rummikub with Nana. Playing the game together is almost the first thing they do now any time she is able to come for a visit.

Meanwhile I worked on my puzzle since they were all otherwise entertained PLUS Nana cooked dinner so I was off duty for the entire afternoon and evening.

My traditional 12:15am photo of Monster as that was the exact time of his birth. This is the first year he has not been in bed by his birth time. I really struggled to stay awake for this photo, so we'll see how many more years I continue it. I definitely want to do it next year for his 18th, but after that I may decide sleep is more important.

We have a resident spider again. She is using the rail of our clothesline and the rail of our back verandah to create her intricate webs at night. This photo was taken too early in the morning to adequately see the spider unfortunately.

Traditional breakfast (actually brunch by the time everything was ready) of pancakes and bacon ... our fry pans are on their last legs (as far as non-stick ability is concerned) so I opted for the electric fry pan for the pancakes...

Which meant that cooking the 750 grams (nearly 2lbs) of bacon went faster with two fry pans cooking it at once...

And I quickly worked out that I could cook four pancakes at once in the electric pan. WIN!!


After breakfast Monster opened his gift from Nana (a nice wallet) and his cards. He got an early birthday present from his dad and I (a new phone) a few weeks previous.

In the afternoon there were many games of Rummicub...


Monster's chosen meal for dinner... a macaroni and beef casserole he loves, with cauliflower and carrots, and vanilla ice cream for dessert.


I spent a bit of time at the airport on Tuesday seeing Nana off on her flight back home. It was delayed by weather - as you can see from the above photo. I have ALWAYS loved airports and I still get a thrill watching planes land and take off.


Three books that Monkey read this week - they MAY count as his "free choice" books for PRC if he struggles heaps to finish this year, but I'm hoping we can find enough at his proper level this year that he enjoys reading.

Munchkin enjoying free computer time...

Monkey tracing cityscapes...

Monster helping me with my puzzle...

A puzzle progress photo...

Munchkin and I spent a portion of Wednesday afternoon sorting through this purple box of Legos. All the pieces got sorted into their appropriate colour box and then Munchkin was able to do much more Lego building. This is a job we had been putting off for weeks, so I'm glad we finally made the time to attend to it.

Monkey spent a good portion of one day drawing this "village" from his own invention/creativity.

Thursday we walked to Munchkin's best friends house for his birthday party. They don't live too far from us (only 3.5 km) but it was a warm day so we were pretty hot by the time we arrived.

Pre-celebration photos taken by the birthday boy's mum... the birthday cake ready and waiting...

When you don't have bags of ice, but you DO have lots of water balloons, you have an excellent way to keep drinks cold for a party.


A couple of photos of the mad dash for the food. We enjoyed pizza, garlic bread, chips, veggie salad and a potato salad. The kids were super happy.






Various photos, from various cameras, of the food being enjoyed...


Time for birthday cake...

Everyone enjoyed a chance to hold the guinea pigs or the Blue Tongue Lizard...

The theme of the party was gaming - so when they weren't eating they were playing Nintendo Switch games... there are numerous gaming photos as well...







More puzzle progress photos...


Saturday one of the boys friends took public transport to our place to hang out and play still more Nintendo Switch games...

After I had all my work done for the day I did more work on my puzzle and made quite a bit of good progress.


There was an evening storm brewing so we got Mr B headed off to catch his bus before the storm hit and he made it home JUST in time.



Some beautiful photos of the sunset after the storm.


I got some decent walks in this week...









Daniel's independent reading for the week...

No comments:

Post a Comment