Saturday, June 4, 2022

Term Two: Week Six ~ A Long Awaited Visit From Nana

This is a very eclectic (and long) blog post. Enjoy...

One of my Facebook Photography Challenge themes is "ritual" so I thought of photographing our church building since our number one ritual in our family is attending church every Sunday. These are the two photos I took, but I haven't submitted either of them because I'm not happy with them. So I'm still thinking...

I discovered this funny looking (though beautiful) plant growing in the front garden as I was photographing the church and so took the opportunity to have some fun.




Munchkin and I stumbled across this book during one of our trips to the library and I just HAD to bring it home. Thankfully, it turned out to be a really good book...



The storyline and characters were engaging and the illustrations were AMAZING! I love it when I stumble on an amazing new picture book. You are NEVER too old for good picture books.

The best part of our week was a short visit from Nana - though she will be back for a longer visit in a few weeks. The boys were THRILLED to have her here, since the last time she visited us in our home was October 2019. In the above photograph Munchkin is playing card games from a box of card games and dice games that he got for his birthday.

The favourite game to play with Nana is Rummicub...

Monkey was quite upset when he missed out on the opportunity to make Indian flat bread with Nana when we were up in Queensland over Christmas. So we made sure that he got to make a batch with her as soon as she arrived.

Now he remembers the recipe and how to make it so we can make flat bread whenever we want.


More games of Rummicub while they waited for the bread dough to rest...

Lessons from Nana on how to fold and roll the bread...


And then Monkey and Munchkin were put to work rolling out all the dough into bread to be fried for dinner.

And still more games of Rummicub...

I finally made a point of borrowing this book from the library since it is one of the few Roald Dahl books we don't own and Munchkin has been desperate to read it.



Monkey read this book as part of his on-going Premier's Reading Challenge work and enjoyed it immensely. He is now going to read the second book.

I finished both of these read alouds for Munchkin this week... The Neverending Story was excellent... so much more detailed than the movie!!





We keep plugging along with our science focused non-fiction read alouds.




More non-fiction read aloud selections that we finished this week. We did LOTS of reading before Nana arrived for her visit.

All three boys and I continue to thoroughly enjoy the Series of Unfortunate Events books.


Munchkin loves to read and re-read the Narnia series.

Two more non-fiction titles we finished this week...




The Flat Stanley books are WELL below Munchkin's reading level, but he just wanted something fun and easy to read so I borrowed the entire series from the library.

Finally we also finished this book this week. It is part of a new series I discovered at the library when I was browsing one day, and I'm really happy with it. We'll continue to read all the other books in the series over the next few weeks/months.




Finally, I am including a couple of photos I took on my phone... which means they are completely out of order compared to the other photos from my camera. I had to include the weather report because the torrential rain stopped and we finally saw several days in a row of sunshine.

As always, Munchkin enjoyed the After School activity at the library on Thursday afternoon - this week was building with Lego. The hilarious thing is that, so far, the only families who are attending the After School activity regularly are homeschool families!!

No comments:

Post a Comment