Saturday, January 9, 2021

Summer School Holidays: Week Three ~ Pursuing Individual Interests

With Christmas and New Year's behind us, the boys and I enjoyed a chill week this third week of the summer school holidays. We played some games together, continued our Christmas picture book reading, did our daily Bible reading, and generally enjoyed the slower pace of our lives. This week was also a time when each of us worked on things individually, myself included. So please enjoy the selection of photos I have chosen to showcase our week.


A couple of photos to show the progress I'm making on my puzzle. Several days this week I set the puzzle up on the dining table, so that I could just work on it for a few minutes here and there as I wanted to.

Photo-a-Day: 3 January

Munchkin spent a lot of time creating little creatures out of modeling clay... This is not a great photo for showing off his creativity so I will have to post more photos in the future.

Both Monster and Monkey spent some time during the week working on their own jigsaw puzzles. They chose this activity during some of our read aloud time this week.

Photo-a-Day: 4 January

Photo-a-Day: 4 January
(I couldn't decide which photo I liked best so I posted both)

And the puzzle is finished!! Now all we have to do is sit down together as a family and work out all the movie puns that are represented in the pictures.

One evening Munchkin requested that he plant his succulent seeds that he received as a Christmas gift from Monster's Godmother. While he was busy doing that he decided to plant some of the Woolworths seed boxes we received ages ago.


Now we wait patiently to see if they will grow...

Photo-a-Day: 5 January
(Again, I couldn't decided which photo I liked better)

A new puzzle for me... this one is 1500 pieces.

Monster spent another afternoon working on his puzzle his dad gave him.

Munchkin and I played a game of Othello together.

This 1500 piece puzzle is going to be much slower going than my 1000 piece puzzle it looks like.

Photo-a-Day: 6 January


Photo-a-Day: 7 January

Along with my own personal challenge to consciously take at least ONE photo each day that isn't about homeschooling, I am also taking part in a Facebook Photography group. This is a different group to my previous challenge group. Instead of posting weekly we will be posting fortnightly. As it is a closed, private group, my photos cannot be seen on Facebook, therefore I will also be posting them here. The group started the year with a self portrait (bonus) challenge.

These two photos serve as my first submission to my Facebook Group AND my photo a day.
Photo-a-Day: 8 January
Facebook Group: Theme = solitary
We are allowed to post a total of three photos for each theme submission. I chose two this week.



On our way home from our walk on the boardwalk, Munchkin and I fed the ducks and discovered that our duck family waiting for us. The babies have grown tremendously.

I love when I spot a Kookaburra in our neighbourhood where I can actually take a photograph. You will often hear them laughing but you won't be able to see them. This one was perched right outside our house.

Finally, Saturday morning when Monkey went outside to empty the rubbish bins, he nearly stepped on our resident Blue Tongue Lizard who was warming himself on our steps. You may not be able to see well in this first photo, but he is missing his front let, and he has a healed wound on his face. But we are happy to see him doing well as his tail has grown since we last saw him which means he is healthy. 

Photo-a-Day: 9 January


Some of the last of our Christmas picture books...


Independent chapter book reading... Monster (top photos) and Munchkin (bottom photos)

Beautiful new picture books from two of our favourite authors... so glad they are both on automatic order at the library!!

Our last two Christmas books for this season... the chapter book was a history about why we have some of the Christmas traditions that we do and it was interesting and hilarious reading.






We found a box of books in the garage that I had packed away some time ago... Munchkin was in book heaven!!


Monster is enjoying working his way through our Horrible Histories set during the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment