It seems funny to call the first week of a school holidays "returning to routine" but that is the case this year. After our visit with my mom for the second half of the term, this first week of the October (spring break) holidays is truly a return to routine. The boys and I returned to our daily (most anyway) reading of the Bible, and I shifted into the normal routine of caring for only one household. Jack also returned to his routine of barking at our front door to visit after both of his daily walks. When we were planning this visit with mom, I had thought we would start Term Four in the school holidays, but a teacher friend convinced me not to, and I'm ever so glad I listened to her. We need this two week break to get ourselves back on track and truly ready to tackle the last term of the year.
We had some rain Sunday and it made the flowers in the church garden all the more beautiful.
On the walk home from the shopping centre for groceries Tuesday we were greeted by the Little Corella and Long Billed Cockatoos again.
Wednesday morning both boys and I were up early and out of the house just after 8:30am. Our library turned 55 years old this year. The original plan was a big birthday bash in 2021 but as we were smack dab in the Delta lockdown that didn't happen. One retired librarian from the boys younger days was there and I gave a little speech about what the library has meant to me and our family over the years. We enjoyed a lovely morning tea (with cake), some gifts, and a visit with everyone. It was worth the early morning trip.
My book haul for Wednesday. At the bottom is the stack of picture books I chose so that Munchkin could win a library bag prize pack. You needed to have 25 books borrowed on one card. Not a difficult chore for us normally, but it IS school holidays, a time when we tend to borrow less books. But you are NEVER too old for a good picture book and I found a bunch that look good. I will blog about them in week one and two of the new term. We also borrowed a few "free reading" books for Munchkin and the rest were biographies for me!
There were wispy clouds everywhere Wednesday which indicated the coming rain in the forecast. Generally you will see these clouds anywhere from 24-48 hours before the rain is due to arrive.
I finished colouring my Querkles owl picture...
And got started on a new colouring page...
I'm quite pleased with my progress so far. My back and right hip aren't too happy with me, so my colouring will have to be done in short bursts, but I love that I have a new hobby to enjoy. I may one day invest in alcohol based markers/textas to eliminate the streaking/blending look, but for now I'm happy with the water based sets that I already own.
Some self directed learning to record despite the school holidays. Munchkin decided to create and build a game for he and his online friends to play based on knowledge of Pokemon (I think anyway). He taught himself how to use Google Slides and worked on the questions over several days this week. He modelled it after Jeopardy. Then he and his friends gathered online Saturday morning to play. From all the noise Munchkin was making I gather they enjoyed themselves immensely.
Duolingo achievements for the week!
Munchkin and I took the bus one way to the shopping centre. I took a rest from walking this week after all the extra walking I did for a month whilst looking after Jack.


































No comments:
Post a Comment