Saturday, October 28, 2017

Term Four: Week Three ~ Aussie Bird Count

This week our routine was a little bit out of whack.
It was Aussie Bird Count week and as we missed it last year, the boys were determined to participate this year.  So each day they scrambled to get their schoolwork so we could go outside to a park and do our bird watching/counting.  Essentially we timed ourselves for 20 minutes, noting what birds we saw during that time, and then logged on to the website to list what birds we saw where.  The boys LOVED it.  I was quite excited as well as I saw a few birds I had never noticed before.






 The above photos are snapshots of the three boys working on their maths, handwriting, and IEW paragraphs.  They put in good hard work with their written work this week.

Monkey jotting down the birds he spotted during one of our many aussie bird count outings. 

We ended the week at our favourite park with our homeschool group.  Monster, Monkey and two of their friends climbed to the top of the spider web to be "kings"!! 

We spotted all sorts of beautiful birds during our Aussie Bird Count outings!  I spotted this Kookaburra in the tree.  Later we were rewarded for our patience and quietness and got to see him catch, kill and eat a lizard.  Sadly I couldn't get my camera out fast enough to photograph it. 

Sulphur Crested Cockatoo 

Pelican 

I was super excited to photograph this bird I had never even seen before... A Scarlet Honeyeater. 

Ducks 

Pigeons 


Dusky Moor Hens 

More Sulphur Crested Cockatoos 


More Ducks... 

Purple Swamp Hen 

 Even with my super zoom lens I couldn't get close up shots of these two tiny birds... and I'm waiting on a friend to identify them for me.

 The boys were ecstatic to find a family of baby ducks.

And I grabbed this quick photo of a Rainbow Lorikeet. 





Our selection of books for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment