Saturday, May 8, 2021

Term Two: Week Three ~ Books Are the MOST Important Thing

 There are NO photos of any structured written learning this week, and we didn't make it to homeschool group either. But that is okay, because my title for this blog post says it all. Books, for our family and especially our homeschool, ARE the MOST important thing. Yes, I use traditional textbooks (for a couple of subjects), and YES, I follow the national curriculum (though I tailor it a bit for our needs and interests) but BOOKS are the core of our homeschool and the backbone of everything else we do! We read about four hours every day!! I read aloud to all three boys together for about an hour just after lunch time. This is when we focus on subjects that I teach them all together... Then in the evening I do focused, individual, reading aloud - though the older boys always listen in on their younger brothers selections. I start with Munchkin's literature and history books, reading to him for an hour, then he gets tucked in to bed. At that point I switch to Monkey's literature selection and history topic until his bedtime an hour later, and finally, I read to Monster and we focus on his literature and history unit study. It works well for this time and season in our lives and I LOVE reading aloud to the boys!




Independent reading selections for Munchkin for the week...

Monkey's read alouds for his Ancient Egypt unit study that we have started...

This was a lovely book that I read aloud to all three boys during our afternoon reading session. We all loved the stories and the illustrations were magnificent as well. I highly recommend this book to any and all who love a good story.

This is part of a series on mapping skills that I'm reading aloud to Munchkin...


These three titles are books that Monkey is reading for his Premier's Reading Challenge this year. He liked all three of these books.

Finally, the history and science selections that I read aloud to the boys this week. Both are part of a series and both series are high quality.




No comments:

Post a Comment