Friday, March 24, 2017

Term One: Week Eight ~ Lots of Rain and Lots of Reading

The end of a term always seems to drag us down. But I am pushing the boys (and myself) to stay focused on the work, get it finished, and then look forward to some fun adventures and activities over the holidays as we give our brains a little break. So here is a look at what we tackled during week eight.

All three boys are slowing getting more interested in the Aboriginal style animal colouring pages I have for them. They are supposed to correlate with the Letter of the Week for Munchkin, but we are a bit behind and generally mixed up, so they just work on whichever one most interests them and we'll get back on track next term.  They generally work on them when I'm reading aloud and they have a beautiful array of Sharpie textas/pens to colour with.  This is Monster's creation... they are all turning out beautifully. 

Monkey and Munchkin enjoy some time with dad in the lounge room pouring over one of our Graeme Base books... 

While Monster and I tackle our math unit in the dining room. Yes, I'm colouring in while Monster is working diligently, but it is only because I'm ready to turn to the next page and he isn't yet. 



Have I mentioned our monsoonal rain??? It continues... 

 Thursday co-op we learned about reflections in mirrors and enjoyed this simple demonstration.


Once the demonstration was finished it was time to draw their diagrams showing what they observed and what they learned. 


A mammoth Latin vocabulary memory game was played after lunch while our youngest member napped. 



Then, for the few minutes that it wasn't raining, all of us dashed to this park.  Our friend's introduced us to it as we'd never noticed it before (it is in a side street) and we LOVE it!  I have GREAT plans to return frequently during school holidays as I suspect it won't be as crowded as the more popular playgrounds often are.

While we were there, Munchkin had a milestone moment!  He crossed these monkey bars all by himself - and all the way across!  Sadly I didn't grab my camera fast enough to video it, so these still photographs are from another attempt.  First on my list of things to do when we next visit this park, it video him crossing them. 

My finished rhinoceros. 

 Friday after lunch we were off to the park and I attempted to get a photograph for my weekly photography challenge - transportation.  Since the boys and I generally walk almost EVERYWHERE we need to go, I had envisioned a lovely picture of the boys walking together down the footpath.  Neither of these photos are really what I wanted, but the photograph on the right is the one I submitted.

 We read a STACK of books this week as the Premier's Reading Challenge launched this week. Both the older boys are taking part, and Munchkin will begin in Year 1 when he registers officially for homeschooling.  You can find more information here.







 The book on the left is a new Jackie French book that I read this week - I'm pre reading this series to see when I think it might be appropriate for the boys.  I LOVE all Jackie French books that I read and this one was superb.  It is the third in the series and I hope there will be more - though there was no mention of further books in her notes.

The book on the right is a read aloud that Monster and I enjoyed.  It showcased many of the major cities around the world and included beautiful photos and lots of interesting bits of information.  We both really enjoyed this book and looked forward to reading it every night.

 We aren't sure what we thought of these books - they were very abstract and it was hard to grasp the point that the author was trying to make.









No comments:

Post a Comment