Monday, February 3, 2014

The First Day of School

The first day of school has arrived and though I only have one registered student, I am teaching as if I already have a full "class" of three students.

Unfortunately my photos don't catch everything we did on our first day... but we were busy enjoying ourselves so consider these a taste, or perhaps the highlights!

 Monkey took his postcard of the Ring-Tailed Lemur that I bought him at the zoo and copied the picture (with some help from me) onto another piece of paper and coloured it in!  I was impressed with his self-direction and his diligence. He also handled it fairly gracefully when he didn't feel the drawing perfectly matched the photograph.

Monster started writing another Angry Birds book complete with illustrations.

 The two older boys and I have all started gratitude journals.
Monster and I write our own and Monkey dictates to me and I write it for him.


Our letter of the week for this first week of school is "Ff" so Monkey pasted feathers on a capital letter F.  He will do lots of crafts and activities for each letter of the week and I will display his work in an A3 art display book.


I bought a Handwriting Without Tears book from a friend of mine and it is perfect for Monkey.
Just enough work to make him feel like a real student without frustrating him.

No comments:

Post a Comment